393: The Inspirational Entrepreneur Success Story Behind CGS
Phil Friedman was a Soviet Union refugee who arrived in the U.S. back in 1976, speaking almost no English but well-versed in computers. He searched the ‘Help Wanted’ section of the newspaper and lands a job at one of the oldest manufacturing companies in NYC, where he is praised and consulted for his computer skills.
Against his wife’s advice and knowing he might be fired, he wrote a four-page memo and pitches his new boss on backing a computer outsourcing company called CGS.Today, Phil is still the CEO of CGS, a global provider of business applications, enterprise learning, and outsourcing services, but the company now employs more than 7,500 professionals across the world.
The company also has a global presence spanning North America, South America, Europe, Middle East and Asia, CGS also maintains a leadership position delivering end-to-end, award-winning solutions in over 40 countries around the globe. Phil shares this inspirational immigrant entrepreneur success story.
In 1996, Friedman was named Entrepreneur of the Year by Ernst & Young, Inc., Inc. Magazine, Merrill Lynch and the City of New York. In 2007 Mr. Friedman was awarded the Ellis Island Medal of Honor. In 2007 and 2008, he was appointed to represent the State of New York on the Presidential Business Commission and to serve as an Honorary Chairman on the National Business Advisory Council.
On the podcast we also tackle the following topics:
- Why you shouldn’t hedge your bets on one product or service
- Why success lies in finding a leadership fit over a technology fit.
- The CEO’s role in recruitment: how to avoid bad hires that can make or break businesses.
- The top five skills you need to be an entrepreneur that no business school can teach you.
- Why STEM education will be critical for future U.S. business leaders
CGS is an applications, enterprise learning and business process outsourcing company. Working hand-in-hand with clients in the world’s most admired companies, they develop powerful, hard-working solutions that strengthen and fortify the fundamental business processes that empower them to take on present and future challenges and opportunities.
- Connect with Phil Friedman on LinkedIn
- Visit the Website of Computer Generated Solutions
- Follow CGS on Twitter or Like on Facebook